Thursday, February 20, 2014

SEARCHING FOR PATRIOTISM IN ALBUQUERQUE


It's a pretty sad state of affairs when the American flag doesn't fly over a City of Albuquerque building.

That's the case of  the Valle Del Norte Community Center/Vincent E. Griego Jr. Child Development Center at 1812 Candelaria Road NW in Albuquerque, New Mexico. Several years ago I brought it to the city's attention that they needed to fly a proper flag and not one that was totally in tatters. They replaced that flag with a new one and then flew the flag for quite some time until last year when they stopped flying it. As I walked and drove past this building all the time, its absence began to bother me more and more and I finally decided to once again bug the city to fly that flag.

Well it's been over two weeks now and several calls to the 311 phone number, an e-mail to Mayor Richard Berry's office, and even a phone call to his office where I talked to a woman there who promised to look into it and get back to me. All to no avail. I have received no replies to any of my queries.

I then tried a veteran's group just down the road. And you'd think the commander of that group would be interested. Nope. He couldn't be budged off his bar stool to make one simple phone call to the Mayor's office. Pathetic.

Our military personnel have fought and died defending the ideals this flag of ours embodies. Many have been injured, tortured, some have even lost their lives, leaving behind grieving parents,sibling, widows, widowers, and children. To NOT fly the flag is to show great disrespect for their sacrifices.

I don't know what I can do but I am going to keep trying to get this ungrateful city bureaucracy to honor our flag.

by © Clyde James Aragon  - All Rights Reserved
from "Full Frontal Stupidity" - http://fullfrontalstupidity.blogspot.com/

And visit his Zazzle.com site for humorous bumper stickers, T-shirts, calendars, mugs, etc. at:
CJA the Humorist:  http://www.zazzle.com/cja_the_humorist