Monday, May 8, 2017

DRIVER'S LICENSE CHAOS IN NEW MEXICO

a letter to a local newspaper from my father, Manuel T. Aragon, regarding the hassle of trying to get a license under the Real I.D. Act which pretty much had to be shoved down the throats of Democrats in our New Mexico state legislature:

I am so disgusted with the problems I and others are having getting a driver's license renewal. In all my years, I have NEVER seen anything as screwed up as the mess we have today. There are ridiculously long lines at the MVD, at the New Mexico Bureau of Vital Records, at the Social Security office, at bank safety deposit boxes, and everywhere else we're sent to try to get the papers they demand.

For years I could get a renewal by going down to MVD, paying the fee, and getting a picture taken. Now I have to prove who I am, what I am, where I am, and give a blood and stool sample on top of that. I fought for this country in World War II for this? 

I have a relative in Las Vegas, New Mexico who was told to go see a lawyer because he's always gone by the first name Paul but his birth certificate says Pablo, the Spanish version that would have been given to him back then. A tradition we have or had here in New Mexico due to our Catholic religion was putting Jose for men or Maria for women before a newborn's name. There are also misspellings on birth certificates due to a lack of schooling long ago. Looks like the people running this fiasco are oblivious to our state's culture and history.

But what really has me mad is that NONE of our so-called representatives of either party at the legislature or even our esteemed governor is opening his or her mouth or lifting a finger to discuss or try to remedy this situation. NOTHING! Are they living on some other planet?

This must be one of the greatest windfalls for lawyers I've ever seen and we citizens of New Mexico, as usual, are the recipient of the short end of this stick. 

I am so sick of the behavior of all our damned politicians. Every one of those cowards is hiding from us. If there was a lever I could pull to send them all to the deepest part of Hades, I'd be more than happy to pull it.

by © Manuel T. Aragon  - All Rights Reserved
from "Full Frontal Stupidity" - http://fullfrontalstupidity.blogspot.com/